Tuesday, July 7, 2020

SAYINGS OF ST. THERESA OF THE CHILD JESUS

St Theresa of the Child Jesus, though she lived but only 24 years in this earth has, through her life of simplicity and holiness, gained a lot of admiration and love from many. Many delight in saying that the Little Flower lived her life doing little things with great love, and this gained her sanctity. Nevertheless, persistence in doing all for the love of God is not something easy. It takes a lot of sacrifice and strength of will to arrive at that level of self-denial and obedience.

One of the things that so much popularized the little saint was her autobiography, which she wrote out of Obedience. The book titled ‘Story of a Soul’, has been a source of light and inspiration to many. Thus, she merited the title of Doctor of the Church because of that simple but glorious writing.

Here are some of the extracts from the book and some other of her writings that shows the spirit and life of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, who Pope St. Pius X described as the greatest saint of Modern time.

1.       “Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right and doing it all for love.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

2.       “The world's thy ship and not thy home.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

3.       “Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

4.       “I understood that every flower created by Him is beautiful, that the brilliance of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not lessen the perfume of the violet or the sweet simplicity of the daisy. I understood that if all the lowly flowers wished to be roses, nature would no longer be enamelled with lovely hues. And so it is in the world of souls, Our lord's living garden.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

5.       “When one loves, one does not calculate.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

6.       “God would never inspire me with desires which cannot be realized; so in spite of my littleness, I can hope to be a saint.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus

7.       “I know now that true charity consists in bearing all our neighbours’ defects--not being surprised at their weakness, but edified at their smallest virtues.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

8.       “When I die, I will send down a shower of roses from the heavens, I will spend my heaven by doing good on earth.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus

9.       “My whole strength lies in prayer and sacrifice, these are my invincible arms; they can move hearts far better than words, I know it by experience.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

10.   “Then, overcome by joy, I cried, 'Jesus, my love. At last I have found my vocation. My vocation is love. In the heart of the Church, my mother, I will be love, and then I will be all things.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

11.   “For me, prayer is an aspiration of the heart, it is a simple glance directed to heaven, it is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy; finally, it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me to Jesus.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

12.   “Another time I was working in the laundry, and the Sister opposite, while washing handkerchiefs, repeatedly splashed me with dirty water. My first impulse was to draw back and wipe my face, to show the offender I should be glad if she would behave more quietly; but the next minute I thought how foolish it was to refuse the treasures God offered me so generously, and I refrained from betraying my annoyance. On the contrary, I made such efforts to welcome the shower of dirty water, that at the end of half an hour I had taken quite a fancy to this novel kind of aspersion, and I resolved to come as often as I could to the happy spot where such treasures were freely bestowed.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

13.   “At first sight, it appears easy to do good to souls, to make them love God more, and mould them according to one’s own ideas; but in practice one finds that one can no more do good to souls without God’s help than make the sun shine in the night.

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

14.   When Charity is deeply rooted in the soul it shows itself exteriorly: there is so gracious a way of refusing what we cannot give, that the refusal pleases as much as the gift”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

15.   “I have not the courage to force myself to seek beautiful prayers in books; not knowing which to choose I act as children do who cannot read; I say quite simply to the good God what I want to tell Him, and He always understands me."

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

16.   “This childish incident was a forecast, so to speak, of my whole life. Later on, when the way of perfection was opened out before me, I realised that in order to become a Saint one must suffer much, always seek the most perfect path, and forget oneself. I also understood that there are many degrees of holiness, that each soul is free to respond to the calls of Our Lord, to do much or little for His Love—in a word, to choose amongst the sacrifices He asks. And then also, as in the days of my childhood, I cried out: ‘My God, I choose everything, I will not be a Saint by halves, I am not afraid of suffering for Thee, I only fear one thing, and that is to do my own will. Accept the offering of my will, for I choose all that Thou willest.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

17.   “That evening at the hour when the sun seems to sink into the vast ocean, leaving behind it a trail of glory, I sat with Pauline on a bare rock, and gazed for long on this golden furrow which she told me was an image of grace illumining the way of faithful souls here below. Then I pictured my soul as a tiny barque, with a graceful white sail, in the midst of the furrow, and I resolved never to let it withdraw from the sight of Jesus, so that it might sail peacefully and quickly towards the Heavenly Shore.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

18.   “O Jesus! Would that I could tell all little souls of Thine ineffable condescension! I feel that if by any possibility Thou couldst find one weaker than my own, Thou wouldst take delight in loading her with still greater favours, provided that she abandoned herself with entire confidence to Thine Infinite Mercy. But, O my Spouse, why these desires of mine to make known the secrets of Thy Love? Is it not Thyself alone Who hast taught them to me, and canst Thou not unveil them to others? Yea! I know it, and this I implore Thee! . . . I ENTREAT THEE TO LET THY DIVINE EYES REST UPON A VAST NUMBER OF LITTLE SOULS, I ENTREAT THEE TO CHOOSE, IN THIS WORLD, A LEGION OF LITTLE VICTIMS OF THY LOVE.”

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

19.   “The good God does not need years to accomplish His work of love in a soul; one ray from His Heart can, in an instant, make His flower bloom for eternity

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus

20.   “Ah! since that day love penetrates me and surrounds me; this Merciful Love each moment renews and purifies me, leaving in my heart no trace of sin. No, I cannot fear Purgatory; I know that I do not merit even to enter with the Holy Souls into that place of expiation, but I know too that the fire of Love is more sanctifying than the fire of Purgatory, I know that Jesus cannot will needless suffering for us, and that He would not inspire me with the desires I feel if He were unwilling to fulfil them.

-St. Theresa of the Child Jesus.

 


1 comment:

Featured Post

LIFE OF A POPE AND THEOLOGIAN

Benedict XVI, born Joseph Ratzinger, was a man of deep faith and unwavering conviction. He was a man who dedicated his life to the Catholic ...

Popular Posts