Tuesday, September 1, 2020

I know who you are, the Holy one of God

 


22nd Tuesday in ordinary time: Luke 4:31-37.

I know who you are, the Holy one of God"... 

    This was an exclamation from a demon. Well why? Maybe because though it was manipulating a human body, the demon is a spirit, that moves in spirit and can perceive a spirit.  And Christ as God is a spirit though he was made incarnate in human form. As a human now, if my mother and another lady were discussing in another room, I’ll be able to differentiate which voice is my mother’s because I have lived and communicated so often with her that I don’t just know her voice but can understand the message in her silent gaze. I could spot her out by her steps even if there are many women coming from a distance that I can’t see their faces, and even certify her reported spoken words if it contained her preferred clichés for example if she likes putting ‘am telling you’ or ‘nawa oh' in-between her words. Same applies to other members of my family and close friends. 

    This is because constant communication begets knowledge and when communication leaves the peripheral level, it becomes communion which begets understanding and acceptance between persons, to the extent that you can even understand their silence. Same is applicable to our relationship with God. In order to know God, we have to communicate with Him. Talk with Him.

Question: How?

Answer: Through prayer.

Q: But He’s God, a Spirit, the Supreme Spirit for that matter and am just human?

A: You are human with a soul made in God’s image. Your soul is a spirit just like God is, let’s look at it this way; “just like your father’s blood runs in your veins, God’s spirit lives in you.”

Q: But how can I pray in order to attract God’s presence, in order that He may hear me, how can I feel Him?

A: The primary business of parents is the wellbeing of their children, though human parents cannot be everywhere their children are, God can and His presence is always with us wherever we are. If He’s always with us, then He’ll always hear us even when we can’t find words to voice our intentions because His spirit penetrates all being. In order to feel him who though invisible is always with us, we need to get fond of Him by constant communication (prayer).  Just like you can identify the voice of a person you’re fond of even when you can’t see them, so also, the more we pray, the better we get to feel and hear God, and thereby, know ourselves. Prayer need not be a presentation to impress God, He is already attracted to us who in love He has made in his Image, He wants to hear us pour out our hearts to him and not our well composed words. So, just tell him how you feel, or beg the Holy spirit to help you.  You can also use the “our father”. God loves, is always listening and wants to speak to us.

So have you Conversed with God today?

Prayer: Dear Holy spirit, teach me how to communicate with my ‘Abba’ that I may better know Him.

OLIVIA MARY, OP.


You can drop your comments in the comment section below

3 comments:

  1. Amen! That I may know God better.
    What an awesome content you've got here. Thanks and Keep up

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful reflection on prayer. I am deeply convinced that God cherishes the moments we spend in prayer. He wants us to come the way we are; joyful, sad, disappointed, heart-broken, expectant etc. He is constantly inviting us like the three apostles, "Keep watch with me".

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

LIFE OF A POPE AND THEOLOGIAN

Benedict XVI, born Joseph Ratzinger, was a man of deep faith and unwavering conviction. He was a man who dedicated his life to the Catholic ...

Popular Posts